Skip to content

Domestic student fees

Course fees are determined by your student fee category and the year you commenced your studies. Most domestic students commencing in an undergraduate (Bachelor) program will be eligible for a Commonwealth supported place (CSP). CSPs are also available in some postgraduate coursework programs. Students who are not eligible for a CSP will be offered a fee-paying place.

Commonwealth supported places (CSP) are subsidised by the Australian Government.  Students in a CSP pay a portion of their tuition fees, called the student contribution, and the Government pays the remaining portion (Commonwealth contribution) directly to the University. Eligible students can defer payment of their student contribution to a HECS-HELP loan

Eligibility for a Commonwealth supported place

A Commonwealth supported place will be offered to domestic students who meet the citizenship and residency requirements. To be eligible for a CSP, you must be:

  • an Australian citizen who will undertake at least one unit of study in Australia
  • a New Zealand citizen who will be resident in Australia for the duration of your program of study
  • an Australian Permanent Resident or Humanitarian Visa holder who will be resident in Australia for the duration of your program of study

To secure your Commonwealth supported place, you must:

What you need to do

During your studies, you must meet the following conditions to maintain your eligibility for Commonwealth assistance for the duration of your program. 

You must:

  • be a genuine student and actively engage in your studies
  • be assessed as academically suited to your chosen program of study and the courses you enrol in each Teaching Period
  • maintain a reasonable study load of no more than 2.0 EFTSL (16 units) in an academic year

Students who do not meet the above requirements will no longer be eligible for Commonwealth assistance and will have their fee category changed to fee-paying for any further enrolment in their current program. 

Monitoring and support

The University will ensure that all students who commence studies in a Commonwealth supported place :

  • have been assessed as academically suited to their chosen field of study
  • are provided with sufficient information to plan and manage their enrolment in accordance with Program completion requirements
  • are eligible for a Commonwealth supported place and understand the requirements to maintain their eligibility for Commonwealth assistance 

During your studies, the University will monitor your engagement and academic progress at the end of each Teaching Period. Students whose progress may be at risk will have access to support services and academic skills development opportunities early in their program to help them develop strategies for successful progression.

Students who are no longer eligible for Commonwealth assistance for their current program will be provided with advice on alternative options for continuing with their studies.

Students who do not demonstrate an appropriate level of engagement in their studies, may be referred to the Department of Education, Skills and Employment as a non-genuine student.

Students whose academic progress has been impeded by unexpected adverse circumstances may apply for withdrawal without academic or financial penalty 

The above eligibility requirements apply to all Commonwealth assisted students enrolled in undergraduate, postgraduate and pathway programs.

Student Learning Entitlement

The Student Learning Entitlement is a limit on the amount of study you can undertake as a Commonwealth supported student. SLE will apply to studies undertaken from 1 January 2022 onwards. Students will be allocated a Student Learning Entitlement balance of 7 years equivalent full-time study. Your SLE balance reduces with each course you undertake.


Domestic students in fee-paying places do not receive a Government subsidy and are responsible for the full cost of their studies. Domestic tuition fees vary depending on the subject area of each course. Eligible students in a fee paying place may defer payment of their tuition fees using the Higher Education Loan Program (HELP)

Domestic tuition fees are set by the University and are reviewed annually.

The Student Services and Amenities fee is a compulsory fee charged by Universities to help provide non-academic services to students such as health and wellbeing, career development, orientation programs, and student enrichment and leadership initiatives. The SA fee is charged each Teaching Period based on your enrolment load. Eligible students can defer payment of their SA fee by completing a Request for SA-Help assistance form prior to the census date.

Find out more about UniSQ projects and services funded by the Student Amenities fee here.

Your student fee category and eligibility for Commonwealth assistance is determined by your citizenship and residency status. 

If your citizenship or residency status changes during your studies, you must advise the University immediately by submitting a Citizenship Change Request and providing documentary evidence of your new residency status. 

We will let you know if your change of residency places you in a different student fee category and any further steps you need to take.