Creators have 'moral rights' under the Copyright Act. This includes the right to be correctly attributed as the creator of their work.
When you refer to or use someone else's publication or data in your research or teaching you must always attribute the creator and source. This is also a part of the Academic Integrity obligations you must adhere to at UniSQ.
There are several benefits to providing attributions in your work, including:
- identifying and providing credit to the creator
- tracking of the impact of research
- assist others to find the publication or data
- allows for verification of data and research findings
- and gives integrity to yourself as a professional and maintains the reputation UniSQ.