SHOULD HAM BE BANNED FROM LUNCHBOXES?
Cancer Council has urged parents to remove the humble ham sandwiches from their school lunchboxes to avoid putting their children at a higher risk of bowel cancer.
- Public health expert Dr Aletha Ward can provide comment on the issue of red and processed meat consumption and health risks, and why higher intakes of fruit and vegetables are required in Australia to curb childhood obesity rates and decrease risk of cancers. Media contact: Griffith Thomas 0423 234 822 and Sarah Green 0417 799 331
LOOK UP: THE HIGHLIGHT OF THE YEAR IS COMING!
If you're fascinated by all things space, you're in for a stellar treat later this week. Why? Because the peak of the annual Eta Aquariid meteor shower is almost upon us - and it's set to light up our skies in a stunning show.
- Professor Jonti Horner is available to talk about why it's considered to be one of the best meteor showers visible from the southern hemisphere... and more importantly, how and when to watch! Media contact: Neve O'Neill 0447 055 179 and Sarah Green 0417 799 331
JOURNALISM UNDER DIGITAL SIEGE
It’s World Press Freedom Day (May 4) and the 2022 theme shines a spotlight on the threat of surveillance and digitally-mediated attacks on journalists. International events today will explore the digital era’s impact on freedom of expression and the safety of journalists, media viability and public trust.
- Journalism lecturer Dr Caryn Coatney can discuss journalism in the digital era and how industry has continually evolved to adapt to technology (including overcoming associated challenges). Media contact: Rhianwen Whitney 0427 428 380 and Sarah Green 0417 799 331
CELEBRATING 100 YEARS OF THE MIDWIFE
Increased investments in midwives and midwifery has led to healthier, happier families and communities across the globe. Tomorrow (May 5), International Day of the Midwife will mark the 100th anniversary of the International Confederation of Midwives with this year’s theme: 100 Years of Progress.
- Lecturer and experienced midwife Dr Danielle Gleeson can discuss how the role of the midwife and profession has evolved over the last century and what the future might hold for midwifery education, services and workforce. Media contact: Griffith Thomas 0423 234 822 and Sarah Green 0417 799 331
MAY THE 4TH BE WITH YOU
It's Star Wars Day... and there's lots to talk about (12 movies, to be exact!).
- Film fanatic Dr Daryl Sparkes can take you behind the scenes on some of the most infamous moments of the iconic franchise, which changed the aesthetics and narratives of Hollywood films that followed. Media contact: Neve O'Neill 0447 055 179 and Sarah Green 0417 799 331