The University of Southern Queensland’s Physical Containment 2 (PC2) Laboratory was designed for researchers to undertake experiments involving clinical samples and risk group level 2 microbes.
Located at UniSQ’s Toowoomba campus, it allows scientists to safely work with microorganisms, human and animal samples that may be infectious (e.g., blood, saliva, urine, and biopsies tissue or organ biopsies), well as printing bioscaffolds and bioinks for tissue engineering research as part of the Sustainable Industry Manufacturing for Long-term Ecosystems (SIMPLE) Hub Research Program.
The lab equipment, used for sample preparation, extraction and analyses, and culturing secondary cell lines on two dimensional and three dimensional surfaces includes:
- Two biological safety cabinets (Class B2) with vacuum aspirators
- Inverted microscope with phase contrast
- Benchtop centrifuge with swing-out rotors – blood tubes, 15 mL and 50 mL tubes
- High speed refrigerated microfuge – 1.5 mL and 2 mL tubes
- Mini-centrifuge – 0.5 mL, 1.5 mL and 2 mL tubes
- Flow cytometer
- CO2 incubator
- Water bath
- Microplate shaker
- Vacuum concentrator/lyophiliser
- Tissue homogeniser (Bullet Blender)
- 3D bioink and bioscaffold printer
- Under bench autoclave