To arrange an interview with any of the following experts, contact Griffith Thomas 0423 234 822 or Alexia Austin 0491 022 303
CHRISTMAS SPENDING SURVIVAL GUIDE
‘Tis is the season to shop ‘til you drop but getting into the shopping spree spirit can be jolly expensive and costly to families.
• Finance expert Associate Professor Peter Phillips says Christmas is an expensive time of year for many families who might not be well-positioned to absorb a financial shock. He can discuss the biggest mistakes people make and share his top spending tips to ensure you don’t have a financial hangover in the New Year.
TRADITIONS FOR AN AUTHENTIC AUSSIE CHRISTMAS
Christmas is a holiday full of traditions, but in Australia, it is a mixed bag of customs from the Northern Hemisphere as well as some that are quintessentially Australian - like backyard cricket and eating prawns.
• Historian and cultural studies expert Associate Professor Marcus Harmes says there are traditions that work in Australia but many that don’t and that includes the big guy’s red coat and boots, and the hot-cooked roast lunch.
HOLIDAY HEALTH: LOOK AFTER YOUR’ELF THIS CHRISTMAS
Staying healthy is a long-term commitment, but is especially tough during the holiday season when we tend to let nice habits fall away and overindulge in naughty foods and alcohol.
• Public health expert Associate Professor Coralie Graham is a registered nurse of more than 40 years and has been doing ground-breaking work in treating stroke. She can discuss the health risks involved in eating too many festive treats and snacks, and consuming too much alcohol, as well as share some tips on how to enjoy a healthier Christmas.
Christmas is a time of cheer, joy and celebration, but it’s also a time of year cybercriminals target online shoppers.
• Cyber security expert Dr Michael Lane can discuss what people can do to protect themselves from cybercriminals when shopping online.
Major retailers spend millions of dollars each year on blockbuster Christmas advertisements that touch the heart and bring a tear to the eye in a bid to attract festive shoppers.
• Advertising lecturer Andrew Mason says the Christmas holiday season is traditionally a boom time for advertising. He can talk about Christmas-focused ads and whether blockbuster Christmas ad campaigns still work.
CHRISTMAS MOVIES THAT LIGHT UP THE SCREENS
Christmas time is here, and with it comes a stocking full of Christmas movies to tuck into, with a mixture of family favourites and debut films appearing on our screens.
• Film guru Dr Daryl Sparkes has made his list (and checked it twice) of the must-watch holiday films to keep you jingling all the way to Christmas Day, including Christmas movies that have made their way to the big and small screens for the first time.