|Semester 3, 2022 Online|
|Faculty or Section :||Faculty of Health, Engineering and Sciences|
|School or Department :||School of Health and Medical Sciences|
|Student contribution band :||Band 2|
|Grading basis :||Graded|
|Version produced :||30 June 2022|
Pre-requisite: PMC1105 and PMC1000
Two of the most common medical conditions experienced by individuals are cardiovascular and respiratory diseases. Disorders associated with these two systems have a major impact on the morbidity and mortality of patients and as such a Paramedic is required to have strong foundation knowledge and skills to manage these patients safely and effectively. This course aims to provide further knowledge for students to gain an understanding of the impact of cardiac and respiratory dysfunction on other body systems and individuals as a whole.
Cardiovascular and respiratory conditions are the most common medical emergencies managed by paramedics. This course will focus on the epidemiology, pathophysiology, clinical manifestations and therapeutic management of patients with cardiovascular and respiratory conditions and emergencies. This course will also develop the students' ability to source acquire and critically appraise evidence and apply findings those findings to paramedic practice.
Course learning outcomes
On completion of this course students should be able to:
- Apply anatomical, physiological, pathological epidemiology concepts associated with the cardiovascular and respiratory systems to develop a knowledge understanding of relevant conditions and emergencies paramedics manage;
- Examine epidemiological and demographic factors associated with the cardiovascular and respiratory diseases in line with relevant paramedics emergencies;
- Apply clinical reasoning in relation to managing cardiovascular and respiratory conditions and emergencies;
- Examine evidenced-based approaches to the management of cardiovascular and respiratory conditions and emergencies;
- Apply appropriate communication techniques and skills in relation to managing individuals with cardiovascular and respiratory conditions in the clinical environment;
- Examine the purpose of health promotion and primary health care in preventing cardiac and respiratory disease.
Cardiovascular diseases and associated conditions:
• Lipid disorders
• Vascular disease
Acute Coronary Syndrome
Respiratory diseases and associated conditions:
Other / Special conditions:
|9.||Environmental and occupational respiratory diseases||10.00|