|Semester 1, 2022 Online|
|Faculty or Section :||Faculty of Business, Education, Law and Arts|
|School or Department :||School of Education|
|Student contribution band :||Band 1|
|Grading basis :||Pass/Not Pass|
|Version produced :||2 July 2022|
Examiner: Dorothy Andrews
Pre-requisite: EDU8602 and EDR9002 and Students must be enrolled in the following Program: DEDU
Doctoral study, culminating in the submission of work for examination by external experts, is a large and complex undertaking. The confirmation of candidature process is intended to ensure that candidates have a clear sense of direction and a workable plan for their doctoral research before embarking upon that phase of their candidature. This course will provide a framework within which candidates can plan their research portfolios and develop their proposals for the confirmation of candidature process.
The course will begin by clarifying the expectations and requirements for the doctoral research portfolio. Students will be facilitated as they review work from previous courses in which they identified workplace challenges and developed focused reviews of relevant literature. They will be guided to select challenges and plan projects appropriate to their doctoral research portfolio. Draft proposals for confirmation of candidature will be workshopped and revised. Students will practise presentations with the class prior to submission of their proposals for confirmation of candidature.
Course learning outcomes
On successful completion of this course students should be able to:
- critically examined the characteristics of an appropriate doctoral research portfolio (Proposal);
- systematically reviewed their previous work as the basis for planning doctoral research projects (Proposal);
- selected appropriate workplace challenges and planned related projects for their doctoral research (Proposal);
- developed a comprehensive proposal for confirmation of candidature in the doctoral program (Proposal);
- communicated competently with appropriate use of language and literacy (Proposal).
|1.||Understanding the requirements of the doctoral research portfolio||10.00|
|2.||Review of workplace challenges and related literature||10.00|
|3.||Selecting and planning projects for the doctoral research portfolio||20.00|
|4.||Drafting and revising a proposal for confirmation of candidature||40.00|
|5.||Preparing and practising for the confirmation of candidature seminar||20.00|
Text and materials required to be purchased or accessed